Posts for tag: Baby Teeth
How your family dentists in Webster, NY, can help protect your child’s teeth
Did you know that your child is at risk of tooth decay the minute you see the first baby tooth erupt? It’s true. It’s also true that you shouldn’t neglect baby teeth because they perform important functions. If your child gets a cavity in a baby tooth, you need to bring your child to the dentist as soon as you can.
Dr. David Fantuzzo, Dr. Jonathan Carey, and Dr. Jennifer Kopacz at Bayview Smiles in Webster, NY, offer a wide range of family dentistry services, for all the members of your family. They can help protect your child’s teeth too.
Baby teeth are also known as deciduous teeth, and they perform some important functions, including:
- Helping your child chew, when solid food is introduced
- Helping the permanent teeth develop underneath the baby teeth
- Saving space for the permanent teeth, to allow the permanent teeth to erupt normally
If your child has a cavity in a baby tooth, no doubt your child is probably feeling some pain. Unfortunately, depending on the age of your child, your child may not be able to tell you. That’s why bringing your child in for a first visit is so important.
The first visit should happen within 6 months of the eruption of the first tooth, and at least within the first year. During the first visit, your dentist will do a visual examination of your child’s teeth, to look for any signs of decay. As your child gets older, x-rays will be added to the visit, so your dentist can get a better look at your child’s teeth.
There are some important steps you can take to prevent tooth decay. Remember to:
- Avoid putting your child to bed with a bottle; juice and other liquids wash your child’s teeth in sugar.
- Wipe your baby’s teeth with a piece of gauze, or brush the teeth with a child’s toothbrush to remove plaque and lower bacteria levels which can cause tooth decay.
- Help your child learn the importance of brushing and flossing by demonstrating good brushing and flossing habits yourself.
Healthy baby teeth can mean a healthy smile later on. To learn more about the importance of baby teeth, talk with the experts by calling Dr. David Fantuzzo, Dr. Jonathan Carey, and Dr. Jennifer Kopacz at Bayview Smiles in Webster, NY, You can reach them at (585) 671-7277, so call today!